Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mellow Mushroominess

I work in a really veggie unfriendly land called "Brandon", which is a huge suburb of the city of Tampa. It's the kind of place where the McMansions are built one foot apart and EVERY chain restaurant known to man is lined up on the main drags so that the choice between Applebee's and Chili's is a matter of scant meters, instead of miles.

There's a health food store within 10 miles that serves up some sad dry wraps and overly sugared smoothies (Turbinado in dessert? Fine. Turbinado in my lunch? Nope), but I don't want to use that much gas on days I want to eat out. The mall is passable, with some stores offering vegan options (begrudgingly, and with shaked heads -- how could I NOT want Orange Chicken?), but it's still...the mall.

Then I found out that Mellow Mushroom, a chain of pizza and beer eateries, has a Tempeh hoagie that can be made vegan. Sure, it's basic. Sure, it's not actually vegan by design. But, I do have to say, the taste of tempeh strips during lunchtime in the biggest, scariest suburb in the area is worth its weight in gold!

No comments: