Thursday, October 2, 2008

VeganMoFo Day 2: Fact of Life - Eating Out





Between Lance's full schedule of teaching all day and classes each weeknight (besides Friday), and my work in Software Development (notorious for lunchtime envoys to local restaurants, which is great for business, but not so great for finding vegan-friendly things to eat), I find that we sometimes have to brave the ominous concept of "eating out" (insert ghostly voice if it elevates drama).

But, if you stick to your guns, it can actually be kinda easy. I've found out a few things that really helped me:

1) Servers really don't mind breaking down dishes by ingredient if you approach them with a good attitude. I've seen them cringe when someone starts the conversation with "you're gonna really hate me, but...". However, when I just start asking questions, like in the case of that Pad See Ew up there in the photo, they are more than happy to get the message to the chef. Like last night, when I took that photo, all I said was, "I'll take the Pad See Ew. Do you use eggs? Okay, then no eggs, only rice noodles, no fish sauce if you use it." It worked!

2) Anecdotal, but I really can't find anything remotely healthy and vegan at the same time when it comes to late night diners. Besides oatmeal. Sigh. It's better just to invite everyone over after going out.

3) For Lance and I, we find ethnic restaurants to be the easiest place to find vegan fare. In Tampa, there are quite a few choices of vegetarian-only Indian, Vietnamese, and Thai menu items.

Oh, if you're ever in the Tampa area, you have to visit Trang Viet Cusine...half of the menu is totally vegan, from summer rolls, to noodle dishes, to clay pots, to dessert. While nothing really beats a home-cooked meal, those kind of nights out are pure luxury.

4 comments:

Bex said...

I love it when a restaurant works with vegan.

Tami said...

I love pad see ew! What a great dinner.

I want to think restaurants are getting better about us. Good suggestions in your post.

Bethany said...

i call pad see eew, "greasy noodles", but I do love them! especially when they have broccoli in them.

Ethiopian restaurants usually have a veg sampler plate that is vegan. really really great food!

Keith said...

Wow! I will really have to try Ethiopian food next time I see a place pop up in our area...or I could always just go when I'm in NYC. =)